Featured Post

SEJUSA TURNS DOWN MUSEVENI'S INVITE FOR TALKS

Gen David Sejusa (R) with Abed Bwanika (L) and Emmanuel Tumusiime (C) at his home at Naguru, Kampala yesterday. Photo by Geoffrey Sseruyange 
By IVAN OKUDA
Kampala. Gen David Sejusa has rejected President Museveni’s invite for a meeting that was slated to take place today at the President’s country home in Rwakitura at 8pm.
Instead, the general addressed journalists yesterday and issued terms and conditions for the President to agree to if such a meeting is to happen.
“My lawyer told me the President wants to meet me tomorrow (today). I told my lawyer to inform the President’s handlers that there are issues to be resolved. I am still an acting officer whose circumstances have changed and he is the Commander in Chief, so in what capacity am I meeting him?” Gen Sejusa said in the presence of his lawyer Mr Ladislaus Rwakafuzi yesterday.
Gen Sejusa, the former coordinator of Intelligence Services, said he cannot meet President Museveni, “before serious issues are resolved”.
“The reasons for leaving (fleeing to exile) must be resolved. You cannot pretend it is business as usual, there is a fundamental contradiction between my legal and factual status in the army,” he said. 
The general, who on return from exile called for a coalition with the Opposition to defeat the incumbent, was accompanied by former presidential candidate Dr Abed Bwanika (People’s Development Party) and Forum for Integrity in Leadership chief Emmanuel Tumusiime.
He insisted that if he is to meet the President, the meeting “must be in the full glare of the public” and with his lawyer in attendance”. He revealed he has started to fear for his personal safety.
“I was hunted down on the streets of London by government agents. It cannot be business as usual; these are serious issues that involve international powers. On three occasions hit men came to kill me on the streets of London. It is incredible what these governments can do,” the 60-year old general stated, emotionally.
If the meeting took place, he said, “it would be to reconcile, apologise or agree to disagree”.
He, however, ruled out reconciliation with Mr Museveni. “Reconciling is not my option, apologising is not my option. The only option is to agree to disagree but I must be careful,” he said. He declined to take questions from journalists who sought an explanation on what irreconcilable differences he has with his erstwhile Commander in Chief. He also hinted he had learnt of a plot by the army to arrest him but was prepared.
“I don’t fear as long as government sticks to the law, let the due process take its course. I don’t want to make shortcuts or cut political deals. I am not bothered. I have right on my side,” Gen Sejusa said in a tone laden with a tinge of apprehension and resignation.
“I am not running away, I am not afraid. They can go ahead and do what they want, they are the State but right will ultimately triumph,” he added.
The Army spokesman, Lt Col Paddy Ankunda, however dismissed the controversial four star general’s fears. “Let him substantiate. Why is he worried? He is a lawyer and he knows that if he breaks any law he will be arrested,” Lt Col Ankunda said.
The President’s Press Secretary, Mr Tamale Mirundi cast doubt on whether the President had invited the General for talks. “Mr Museveni is not dying to meet Sejusa,” Mr Mirundi said. “If the army wants to arrest him they will catch him like a rat. He is living on the mercy of government and just wants to appear important but he is nothing,” he added.
Mr Mirundi branded Sejusa as a failed general. “Having a swollen stomach does not mean you have a baby. A tenant cannot be more important than the landlord,” he said.
General to retire
On Monday it was revealed that Gen David Sejusa has applied to retire from the army. Gen Sejusa told this paper that he had instructed his lawyers to write to the Uganda People’s Defence Forces Commissions and Promotions Board, which considers promotions and retirement of officers and men.

The general, said he wants to join active politics. “I want to retire from the army and I have already directed my lawyers to write to the army informing them of my wish to leave that institution,” Gen Sejusa said. His lawyer Ladislaus Rwakafuzi acknowledged being instructed by his client to set in motion his eventual retirement from the army.
CREDIT SOURCE: MONITOR

Comments